Crispy vegan carrot lentil cakes, served with our LIVWELL Zucchini and Lemon sauce, a delicious meal, appetizer or snack! Chock full of lentils, spinach, carrots, and rolled oats, this meal packs a serious plant-powered punch.
- 4 cups peeled and roughly diced carrots
- 1 bottle LIVWELL Zuchinni and Lemon Sauce
- 1 ¼ cup red lentils, thoroughly rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Spinach or Tuscan Kale, chopped
- ½ cup raw pepitas, shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp cup fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, tough stems removed
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Next steam the carrots or saute in a large skillet with 1 inch of water for 30 minutes, or until cooked throughout and tender.
- Next, add the lentils and water to a medium pot. Bring to a boil, and then simmer on low heat, uncovered, for about 12-15 minutes, until cooked throughout.
- Next, add carrots, lentils, rolled oats, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper to a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is chunky and all ingredients are well mixed.
- Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl, and add spinach, pepitas, rosemary, and cilantro. Use a spoon to mix well, ensuring all ingredients are evenly mixed
- Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop out the “cakes.” Form the cakes into 1 inch thick patties, and transfer to baking sheet. Repeat until mixture is completely used.
- Bake the patties for 20-25 minutes until lentil cakes are crispy and cooked throughout. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve warm with LIVWELL zucchini sauce. Mangia!